Here’s a really easy-to-make, versatile and nutritious recipe that tastes totally scrumptious. Introducing my raw activated sunflower seed and sun-dried tomato pate. You can use it in so many ways, plus it’s budget friendly (hello fellow students), as sunflower seeds make the base of it, which are generally inexpensive. Especially when you consider how healthy those little wonders are.
Sunflower Seed & Sun-dried Tomato Pate
(raw, vegan, gluten free, sugar free, low GI)
1 heaped cup of raw sunflower seeds
½ cup sun dried tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil
Juice of ½ a lemon
½ teaspoon pink Himalayan crystal salt or celtic sea salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, if you like it spicy)
1 teaspoon dried herbs of choice (optional)
1) Place the sunflower seeds in a bowl and cover with purified water. Leave to soak for 7 hours or over night, then rinse thoroughly. This process activates the seeds and makes them easier to digest, as well as softening them up so they are easy to blend later on in the recipe.
2) Re-hydrate the sun-dried tomatoes by lightly covering them in purified water and soaking for 1-2 hours, until soft.
3) Put the following into a food processor: strained and rinsed sunflower seeds, sun dried tomatoes and their soak water, cold-pressed oil, lemon juice, high quality salt and other optional ingredients if you choose (cayenne and/or herbs).
4) Process mixture, stopping to scrape down the sides, until it reaches a thick pate consistency with some texture still there. If it is too thick you can add a little more purified water or high quality oil to thin.
5) Serve with raw vegetable crudités, crackers, tortilla chips, cos lettuce leaves or raw bread for a delicious and nutritious appetiser. It can also be used in healthy sandwiches, wraps, nori rolls or served on top of zucchini pasta or quinoa.
6) Enjoy! And if you want some food for thought whilst chowing down, check out these 6 health benefits of sunflower seeds.
Will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 7 days.