Green Zen Lemon-Aid (raw, vegan, gluten-free, probiotic)
With thanks and credit to Dee at O-zone for the inspiration.
Ingredients – Serves 1 (500ml)
- 200mL chilled raw and sparkling kombucha tea, plain or lemon flavour (I used Mojo Lemon Citrus)
- 2-3 kale leaves (I used a mix of curly and dark)
- 1 collard leaf
- 3 cos leaves
- 2 bok choy leaves
- large handful of wheatgrass (optional)
- 1/2 large cucumber
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 lemon
- pinch of stevia (to taste)
1. Pour kombucha (slowly to minimise foam) into your juiceing container.
2. Put the greens, wheatgrass, cucumber, celery and lemon through the juicer. You can change the greens in accordance to what you have on hand, just make sure to get lots of the dark ones in there for a nutritional punch.
3. Stir with a spoon. Add stevia to taste and stir again.
4. Pour into a glass and enjoy this healing tonic! So refreshing. Lemon-Aid just became a health aid. Amen to that :)
My little organic superstars before getting their juice on!
Health Benefits of Kombucha
Referred to as the Immortal Health Elixir for centuries by the Chinese, Kombucha is a fermented drink traditionally made from sweetened tea and a kombucha mushroom culture, aka a health boosting bacteria and yeast colony. Yum, right?! What this means is that it is a cultured drink, so consuming it providing our insides with billions of amazing microflora. Yum? Hell yes!
Similar to sauerkraut (which we all know I am completely obsessed with), kombucha helps establish a healthy and efficient digestive terrain in our bodies. To have your gastrointestinal tract acting as a groovy smooth operator, we need a good balance of these friendly (read: frickin’ awesome) bacteria and yeasts. In conjunction with enzymes and antioxidants also found in kombucha, they play a key role in helping the body to detox, absorb and assimilate nutrients from our foods, eliminate waste (so long poo!), maintain a healthy weight, and a fit and fighting immune system. Cheers!
Kombucha is also high in glucaric acid, which may help to prevent cancer, and glucosamines, to help prevent and treat arthritis.
Enjoy your clean green digestion and detoxification my friends!
Love and health,