I have found a way to make the long commute into the city for uni enjoyable: I read nutrition books. The bus ride goes by rather quickly when I’m preoccupied by cramming my head full of juicy ideas and information. My most recent conquest is Kimberly Snyder’s The Beauty Detox Solution, which I finished yesterday. I happened upon it by chance the other week when one of my lovely fellow nutrition students pointed it out to me on The Wellness Warrior must read list. I was intrigued and, being in need of a new book, I made haste (read: right then and there in class) to buy a digital copy on my iPad.
I powered through it which is an obvious sign I loved this book! I wanted to share with you a review so you can see if it’s something you too might like to read.
I must admit, the title was initially off-putting for me, as I think in our contemporary times the word “detox” often bears connotations to a quick-fix diet rather than a way of engaging in ongoing detoxing through a healthy lifestyle (which is the way it should be!). I was thrilled to find that in fact Kimberly shares my perspective to a tee. The Beauty Detox Solution is a plan for life in which “detox” must be viewed as a verb, not a noun. It is based on many sound principles that I strongly agree with and I really enjoyed reading these through Kimberly’s clear and passionate writing style.
According to the book, the aim of the game is to free up our “Beauty Energy” by making digestion and assimilation of nutrients as quick and smooth a process as possible. This way the energy we save can instead be used by our body for many other important functions, ultimately resulting in optimum health which beautifies us from the inside out. Yes, when we are clean and happy internally this will reflect by allowing us to become our most beautiful: shiny hair, strong nails, clear skin, ideal weight, fast healing.
Oh, by the way, Kimberly just happens to be drop dead gorgeous – the very personification of the message in her book. Coincidence? I think not. In this case, the proof is in the
pudding green smoothie!
Now there is a woman with the glow if ever I saw one! I love how Kimberly sets the perfect example of how high raw, plant based diet, like the one in The Beauty Detox Solution, paves the way for health, beauty and happiness. Indeed, Kimberly reveals that she personally does not consume any animal products, save for the occassional local raw honey. You certainly don’t need meat or dairy to thrive. However, Kimberly’s “Beauty Plan” is very flexible – you don’t have to cut out animal products if you really don’t want to. Instead you will limit them and learn how to eat them correctly whilst loading up on plenty of fresh raw fruit and vegetables. I think it’s great that she provides options which make the plan highly accessible to everyone. To put a case in point, the book is filled with true stories of her clients and how various changes were able to drastically improve their health, such as swapping their old breakfast for a daily green smoothie.
So let’s get down to the nutritional nitty-gritty, which I’m sure is what you’re all waiting for, right?
Here are some of the main concepts that The Beauty Detox Solution involves, which Kimberly educates the reader about in an intelligent and down-to-earth manner:
- The way we are naturally supposed to eat: plant based diet high in raw fruit and vegetables. Fun fact: the strongest animal on earth, pound for pound, is the gorilla who is a natural vegetarian and gets heaps of protein from plants!
- The importance of having an alkaline body.
- Why we need to be continuously detoxing – the wheel won’t run smoothly if it’s clogged with sludge.
- “Beauty Food Pairing” which correlates to what many of us may have heard about in the form of food combining principles. Basically, why certain foods should only be eaten in certain combinations, what foods these are and how to implement proper combinations of fruits, vegetables, proteins, starches and fats in your diet.
- Eating light to heavy to allow the body to remain in a state of cleansing, healing and replenishing for as long as possible. This will certainly challenge those who believe we need a solid and hearty breakfast to start the day.
- How to avoid digestive “traffic jams.”
- The importance of enzymes and minerals. Hello raw food!
- But cooked food still has a place – Kimberly discusses this. Options for those who wish to remain eating some animal protein too.
- The power of PLANT protein! (Remember how our Gorilla friend thrives?!)
- Important supplements: probiotics, digestive enzymes, magnesium-oxygen.
- Cleansing and getting a bit of extra help along the way (colonics and enemas, gasp!)
- “Beauty Phases” – there are three different phases that Kimberly presents, “Blossoming Beauty,” “Radiant Beauty,” and “True Beauty,” complete with an outline and sample one-week menu. Each phase moves to a higher level of ongoing detoxification, however the plan does not require you to move “up” the phases as they are all greatly beneficial for one’s health. Instead it is emphasised to find the one that suits you best and stick with what your body and mind are telling you.
- Recipes – a wide variety of simple, easy, delicious and super healthy staples and meals, including her famous “Glowing Green Smoothie.” Largely raw with the inclusion of some healthy cooked starches.